The Institute of Heraldry has a long and distinguished record of support to the United States Army. Its roots were firmly planted in 1919 when President Woodrow Wilson directed the creation of the Heraldic Program Office under the War Department General Staff. Its purpose was to take responsibility for the coordination and approval of coats of arms and other insignia for Army organizations. By the end of World War II, its role expanded to include the other military services. In 1957 Public Law 85-263 directed the Secretary of the Army to furnish heraldic services to all branches of the federal government. The Institute's wide range of heraldic services include decorations, flags, streamers, seals, coats of arms, badges, and other official emblems and insignia.
The mission of TIOH is to furnish heraldic services to the Executive Office of the President, the Department of Defense, and all other Federal agencies. The work of TIOH encompasses research, design, development, standardization, quality control, and other services which are fundamental to the creation and custody of official heraldic items. Such items include coats of arms, decorations, flags, streamers, agency seals, badges, and other types of insignia that are approved for use and/or display. TIOH also provides the general public with limited research and information services concerning heraldic insignia.